Thursday, February 10, 2011

The day is mine!

But first, my workout notes for today:

THURSDAY 2/10 40 mins: Grip training and shrugs
Jar handling: 1–2 minutes per hand x 3
Dumbbell gripping: until failure, twice per hand x 3
Wrist roller: flexion and extension, twice per hand x 3
Eagle catcher: 30 secs per hand, twice per hand x 3
Rope shrugs: BDW @ 30, 30, 30

+ + +

Why is the day mine, you ask? (Ask!) I finally up and did it: I made my own kettlebell (KB)!

I swung (no pun intended…) by the hardware store tonight after Eucharistic Adoration and spent about half an hour fiddling with pipes and joints before making my purchase. I will tweak it this weekend to be simpler, to be more like the model which inspired me. My model is too 'articulate' (i.e. has too many pieces), but I like how it has the true kettlebell shape with a central hoop-grip, rather than the T-bar model. That's about 12kg in the photos but I bumped it up to about 19kg earlier tonight.

Because I used eye-bolts to carry the plate rod, there is a lot of play in the plates when I move the KB. This weekend I plan to go back to the hardware store, buy two more 6" rods (same length as the handle), two T-joints, and a rod that threads through the T-joints. The problem with this, though, is that such a small rod seems perilous at heavy weights. Will it bend over time, possibly even break? Am I being paranoid? Keep in mind, the KB is over your head for almost all movements, so safety is not a minor detail. I think a slightly narrower handle with longer vertical rods will be a nice change.

The best solution would be to find a couple 5/8"-3/4" couplings to replace the 1/2"-3/4" couplings and bushings I have attaching the eye-bolts and vertical rods. Probably need to get those from the good ol' USA.















I'm also providing photos of some of my other workout apparati, below. Cuz I can. Annotated in order of display (I don't know how to get the words right next to the pictures and I need to go to bed.)

+ + +

The alligator clip I recently bought, with Augmenting Rubberband Action!

The 2m loading strap I use for pullups, rows, shrugs, etc.

The hand wroller I made from a broomstick cut into three pieces bound together––thicker handles make for stronger wrists!––with a 5kg plate attatched. The concerted look on my face means it's real, kiddies. Do try this at home!

These are two halves of PVC coupling I sawed apart. I use these in the strap loops (shown above) for pullups and various other exercises, not only because they train a thicker grip than the rope by itself, but also because the rope is painful when it crushes my fingers together and wedges into my palm.

This is my homemade eagle catcher device. I bought some rubber-caoted work gloves recently (for less than US$1) and discovered they work nicely on dulling the pain of those hoops on my fingers. Reducing "ancillary pain" allows you to train harder (i.e. to generate more "central pain" for the "gain", not the "sprain".) Speaking of central pain…! Tonight, on my last set of wrist rolls, I wore the rubberized gloves, having just finished a set of shrugs, and discovered they add an exruciating edge: their adhesiveness forbids any cheating––the handle will not slide––, so you have to really open your hands on every cinch. Brutal.

Another shot of my using the eagle catcher. I'm only grinning for the camera.

These are the 1" PVC tees I use––that thick grip thing again––with bungees to do over- and underhand curls (as well as triceps extensions, etc. if I'm in the mood). They're hooked differently to allow for alternating grips. I stand on the center of the bungees to ground the resistance and curl.

No comments:

Post a Comment