Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fitness update...

Got off course a few days last week.

Better now.

Marriage is a kind of monasticism, which is actually one reason I'm learning to enjoy it more each day. The Benedictine motto is "Ora et labora" (work and prayer). Much the same goes for marriage, at least in a Christian home. This weekend I finally got around to setting up a wall mirror for my wife. Then I did laundry and shopping so she could take care of the baby and talk with family back home. Then I swept the floor and tidied up while she folded and put away clothes. A division of labor, to be sure. The interesting thing is that I did not feel these mundane tasks detracted from my "spiritual life." To the contrary, they gave me a sense of order and Lenten sobriety that fed into my more directly spiritual work. Ora et labora.

What does all this have to do with my fitness update? Not much, but it is my blog, after all!

Thursday
I got off my duff and got back under the bag. About fifteen minutes with mitts and I did surprisingly well. Learning curve. Slow and steady.

Friday, 22 Feb 2013
< 120 min., all with wraps on 219 lbs.


10 min. speed bag + 5 min. double end bag WARMUP

150 skips
2 min. double end bag
3 min. speed bag
---------------
REPEAT X 4


150 skips
1 min. heavy bag
---------------
REPEAT X 4


(My first round on the heavy bag was a 5-hit combo, then two squats, etc. Second round was a two squat parry, then 3-hit combo, etc. Third round was a flurry of body shots, then a rest, etc. Fourth round was a jab-jab, hook, body combo over and over.)

10 min. speed bag COOLDOWN

Some of my time was spent puttering around with double end bag so I didn't keep very good track of time.

Saturday, 23 Feb 2013
60 min.
219 lbs.


200 skips
stretching

sling-aided pistol squats: 10/10, 10/10, 10/10
sling pushups: 12, 12, 8/4
pullups: 10, 10, 5/3/2

200 skips
stretching

lunges (with tire on shoulder): 5/5, 5/5, 5/5
dips: 6, 6, 7
chinups: 6, 6, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment