Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gym regimen - March 2011

THURSDAY, 31 March 2011
A3: Back and Hamstrings
60 mins, 98kg

WARMUP

CIRCUIT:

Pullup (with alternated grip): 15, 14, 13

Leg curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 45kg, 50kg, 55kg

CIRCUIT:

Snatch grip DL: 10, 8, 6 @ 100kg, 110kg, 120kg
[Hook grip on rep 6 of set 3.]

Glute extension (per leg): 10, 8, 6 @ 60kg, 70kg, 80kg

CIRCUIT:

Lever bench row: 10, 8, 6 @ 100kg, 110kg, 120kg

Walking lunge (carrying plates): 20, 24, 30 @ 15kg

CIRCUIT:

Oblique cable pulldown: 20, 18, 16 @ 15kg, 20kg, 25kg
[I improvised these all of a sudden, though the idea has been in my mind for a few weeks since I saw a machine that trains the core while standing. I could try them standing next time, I guess, but kneeling felt better. Incredible tricep workout, by the way, caught me off guard!]

Underhand cable pulldown: 10, 8, 6 @ 60kg, 70kg, 80kg
[I just pulled the hell out of these, a lark of a circuit, since I love blasting my back more than anything else. I'm trying to work my biceps and chest twice a week, so these helped with biceps.]



An interesting workout tonight, mainly because I tried two new exercises, did some exercises again I haven't tried in many weeks, and then added a fourth circuit as a surprised to myself.

The snatch grip deadlift (SGDL) is a beast of an entirely different color! I calculated that doing a snatch grip versus SGDL immediately knocks me down by 20kg. Not using chalk probably chops off another 10kg. I really like the SGDL. Really felt everything more, in my legs and back. The grip was a little awkward, and I may have been gripping too widely. This article1 contains a method for finding a good grip-width, as well as strong endorsements of SGDL. This article2 also has good tips and is a singular endorsement of SGDL.

I felt very anxious this evening, not sure why, so I was really looking forward to some heavy training. This workout did not disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment