Monday, July 2, 2012

Gym regimen - July 2012

Monday, 2 July 2012
Quick Mass workout
45–47 min., 101kg 

This was a diagnostic workout. I've pretty much always done circuits with progressive intensity, so I'm instinctively skeptical about a one-set "HIT" workout like this. But I'm committed to it for at least a month, so I needed this workout to assess things like: what my "one-set max" is, how long the routine takes, how long I should rest between exercises, how to make some exercises intense enough to merit a true one-set effort as stipulated by the article the lead of which I'm taking, etc. The good thing is, this is basically a higher metabolic-load, double-progression regimen, so it's rooted in solid principles. As it turns out, I can afford a good minute of rest between each workout. I blazed through the first six exercises, but took a much needed 2–3 minute break before continuing. I was on calf raises after less than 40 minutes! Hence, I tacked on some aerobic ski machine time to reach at least 45 minutes. I'll go for a walk with intermittent skipping tomorrow, and then, because I must visit Taipei Friday through Sunday, I'll do the Tabata workout with "thrusters" and some headstands on Friday.

SQ - 9 @ 120
[Just right. Maybe 10 reps on Wed.]

Leg extension - 10 @ 71
[Too light!] 

Leg curl - 10 @ 45
[Not too light (my hams have been sore since my DL last Thursday!), but I can go heavier next time.]

db pullover - 12 @ 25
[Too light! Will probably need the EZ bar to lift at least 40kg.]

Press - 8* @ 60
[Brutal! Body English on last few reps.]

Seated cable row - 15 @ 63
[Too light! Should use the bent-over row machine with big plates.]

BP - 9* @ 90
[Seemed about right. Spotter helped on last rep or so.]

Standing bb curl - 10 @ 40
[Just right! Kept my elbows tucked in and I squeezed high.]

Seated tricep press (EZ bar) - 10 @ 35
[Just right.]

PU - 9* @ bdw + 7.5
[Just about right. Did a couple negatives to finish.]

Chair dips - 10 @ bdw + 15
[Need to go heavier – this time I put a 15kg plate in my lap, which was awkward – or just go for high reps to failure.]

(Standing) Calf raises - 15 @ 90
[A little too light, or at least I didn't go low enough on the concentric return. Shoulds would help, as the platform rather cuts into the foot.]

Leg lifts - 15 / 10 / 15 / 15
[I did two sets of hanging leg lifts – fried my forearms! – then two sets of dip leg lifts. Pretty strict form, not knee raises.] 
Ski machine - 6 min.
[I was pooped.]

No comments:

Post a Comment