Thursday, June 28, 2012

Gym regimen - June 2012

Thursday, 28 June 2012
Even Keel (B)
50 min., 99kg

Warmup: stretching, motions with plates (stiff-legged rows [had my hams tight and sore the whole workout! sadface], squatting, overhand cable curls, pulldowns, etc.), etc.

Circuit 1

FSQ: 9, 6, 3 @ 75, 85, 100

IBP: 9, 6, 6* @ 70, 80, 85
[I felt insecure on these until the 3rd set. My pecs felt over-trained, maybe because I did some headstand and handstand training recently. Spotter helped on last 2 reps of 3rd set. My legs were shaking like leaves with exertion, but I squeezed the hell out of the bar and stabilized to get the bar up. Got some thumbs-up from a couple guys in the gym. Meh.] 

DL: 9, 6, 6 @ 110, 120, 140
[Chalk is my friend! I killed the 3rd set. My back was achy a little while afterwards and my hams are going to hate me today and this weekend, but it was nice to dig deep on one of my favorite lifts. Got some more thumbs-up and mild "wooting" from some guys in the gym.] 

Circuit 2

db BP: 12, 10, 10 @ 50kg
[I'm "forced" to use higher volume on these since I'm already using the heaviest db's in the gym. Once I start at my new high school teaching job, I'm sure I won't have the same problem in their weight room. I can't wait!] 

Seated pulldown: 9, 6, 6 @ 111, 113, 115
[I'm already pulling the whole stack on these, too. Quite a challenge after all that deadlifting. High five!] 

Seated cable curl (narrow grip): 10, 9, 8* @ 50, 54, 58
[Used a little body English on the last set but ended with a penitential negative. Good long-head pump!] 

+ + +

Another typhoon is on the way, so the air has been awfully muggy and dusty. Maybe there are some foul ions in the mix, too. The point is that for the first 20 minutes or so of this workout, I was feeling alternately sluggish and wired. I've gone back to taking a B-complex multivitamin in the morning, and creatine monohydrate pre- and post-workout, so maybe I was a bit dehydrated at first. Around midway through, I started feeling more focused and energized. My dilemma was that I didn't want to slack - I never want to - but I also didn't want to train so hard going into my Quick Mass 3-day split regimen next Monday that  I'd begin depleted and quickly over-train. I decided to give my best and may the devil take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment