Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Variety, spices, and all that…

This blog recently reminded of a silver, if not golden, rule of weight training: MIX IT UP.

I'm very pleased with my Even Keel regimen, and intend to keep at it at least until I find a gym in America (ca. July or August 2012). Even so, I do research to keep myself on my toes.

So, here are two ideas I've had recently that I think will help keep my body "on its toes".

1. Alternate weekly or twice-weekly based on geometry.

That is, even if I stick with an A-B Even Keel routine, let's have, say, week 1 of 4 focus on the quads vs. hamstrings (with a higher back squat and front squats vs. a lower and wider back squat), the long vs. short bicep heads (with narrow vs. wide grips, respectively), the greater vs. lesser pectorals (with wider vs. closer grips), mid-back vs. wide-back pulls (with closer and higher vs. wider and lower position), etc.

2. Every 6–8 weeks, switch to a month of 5x5.

I.e. do my bi-weekly Even Keel workouts for 6–8 weeks, then switch to a month of higher volume "cutting" work on a 5x5 regimen.

Oh, and a third goal:

3. Flesh out my strength and grip training with "beast skills"

My current main goal is the handstand and hand-walking, and to master/close the CoC #2.5, before I get to the #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment