Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gym regimen - June 2012

Sunday, 24 June 2012
Even Keel (A)
50 min., 99kg

Thumbs up, kiddies, my neck and abs were nice and tender today from yesterday's ab-core-calf-neck-grip melee. I keep losing weight, albeit incrementally (it's fat, I reckon), but my numbers keep going up (gradually), so I think I'm on the right track. I've been on the Even Keel regimen since a little after mid-May (I'm including some training I did at home before actually hitting the gym, as a necessary preparation after having been out of the gym too long). However, I do want to try a new regimen for July, which I shall explain below. My wife and I were up late last night (baby boss!), so this afternoon I took a much needed nap. I woke up at 1900 and got to the gym near 2000. It closes at 2100. So while there were very few people in the gym (hooray!), I was still a little groggy from the nap. It was, in short, a mental workout; but not without happy efforts. 

Circuit 1

SQ: 10, 6, 5 @ 90, 105, 120
[I added an extra rep to set 1, and dug deep for 5 reps on set 3.]

BP: 10, 8, 6* @ 75, 85, 95
[Added a rep to set 1, 2 reps to set 2, and 3 reps to set 3, though I slight spotting on the tail-end of set 3. Definitely a new PR plateau. Felt very good.]

SDL: 10, 6, 5* @ 90, 110, 127.5
[Used straps on set 3. I meant to do 125kg, but accidentally put a 5kg plate on the right side instead of a 2.5kg plate, as on the left side. Split the difference.]

Circuit 2

Press: 9, 6, 3* @ 50, 55, 60
[Brutal effort. I guess my BP efforts had taken a lot out of my press, so I had to use a modified split jerk motion on set 3.]

db flye: 12, 10, 8 @ 36, 40.5, 45
[Giving my chest that extra attention, as always. I didn't feel I was overly activating my biceps on these, but, seeing as I did them on the fly (!), I ought to brush up on proper form and see how they feel next time I have a go.]

PU: 8/3, 8/3, Ø
[I did wide-grip pullups, then switched to neutral-grip pullups. By the third set, the gym was closing and I was pretty much "done". Not a tremendous showing, I know, but I think I adequately blasted my back and arms with the SDL. As I like to say and hope, with weight training, there's always next time (otherwise you're wasting your time)! Apropos, here's a good article that mentions the neutral-grip pullup in connection with arm development.]

+ + +

Now, about the new regimen I want to try in July.

New program I want to try for July: The 3-day split "Quick Mass" workout from Bodybuilding.com. The webpage also includes a handy printable format for log-keeping. It's designed to take 45-47 minutes, Mon/Wed/Fri, and all exercises are 1 set of 8-10 reps TO FAILURE. I will alternate form each Wed workout for * selected exercises. Off-days are for hula hoop, jump rope, walking, swimming, headstands, bridging, neck, AND GRIP CRUSHING! I want to go back to a 3-day split not only to increase my metabolic demands, but also to try something different that fits nicely into a month+.

Here's the goods:

*Barbell squat / FSQ -

Leg extension -

Leg curl -

db pullover -

Press -

*Seated cable row / Bent row -

BP -

*Standing bb curl / Close-grip spider curl -

Seated tricep press -

PU -

Dips -

(Standing) Calf raises -

Crunches / Leg lifts -

I'll do my Even Keel (B) workout this week, then start this Quick Mass workout next week (July 2).

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment