Friday, November 21, 2014

Three-Day Split - progress and prayer

Friday, 21 November 2014 
Three-Day Ahnohld Split 
75 min. 
(because of a few extra sets and some conversations)

warm-up: motions, stretching, etc.

SQ: 10, 8, 6, 6 @ 175, 195, 215, 235 lbs.
[These felt great and I think I will be back up to 300 lbs. by December. Indeed, if there's one thing I don't like about my current "restoration" routine is that it needs MOAR SQUAT. So I tossed in an extra set for good measure.]

leg curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 70, 80, 90 lbs. (?)
[My technique was better on these, less rushed, and all the way heels-to-butt.]

standing calf raise: 15, 15, 15, 15 @ 60 lbs.
[I did four sets of trampoline bounces and 10 ab wheel rolls last night. The trampoline is a WONDERFUL recovery device. My calves finally don't feel destroyed. Gotta keep stretching them.]

BP: 10, 8, 6, 6 @ 175, 185, 195, 205 lbs.
[Used a narrower grip, inside the inner knurling gap. Felt good. Still my weakest lift, though.]

PU: 11, 10, 4, 4 1 @ bdw
[I alternated between a supinated and pronated grip. Ellington Darden says that a not-wide, supinated grip is actually more effective than the commonly seen wide, pronated grip. I can grasp why, kinesiologically, but I will be curious to see how supinated "chinups" enhance my lats. If nothing else, it's nice to have another way to work my stubborn biceps.]

db MP: 10, 8, 6 @ 40, 45, 50 lbs.

EZ bar curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 60, 70, 80 lbs.
[Slow and tight form.]

db tricep extension: 10, 8, 6 @ 60, 70, 80 lbs.

+ + + 

As I was leaving I made the acquaintance a Big Dude. Turns out he is a Reformed pastor and we had a good little conversation about how I had gone from being a Presbyterian to a Catholic. I am hoping to keep in touch with him (and convert him, of course). ;)

Tonight was the first night I felt some of my "old power" returning. Imagine my strength and confidence back in May as a gas burner with all the flukes burning. Now you can imagine my return to weightlifting as the click of the pilot light and these first efforts as the gradual ignition of one fluke after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment