Friday, December 12, 2014

Rebuilding program notes... a watermark...

Ahnohld Three-Day Split
12/12/14 (Day 11) 
80 min. 

warm-up: motions, stretching, scorpions, etc.

SQ: 10, 6, 2, 3 @ 225, 260, 295, 335 lbs.
[I knew tonight was a big step on my rebuilding path, so I was mentally unsteady during my warm up sets, feeling skittish about my foot placement, etc. When it came down to it, the belt was a good call and I'm pleased with my form on these. {When I first squatted and posted this, I thought it was 325, but in fact I had 335 on my back. Nice!}]


leg curl: 10, 8, 8, 10 @ 80, 110, 100, 90

calf press: 15 x 4 @ 225, 255, 245, 235

db floor press: 10, 10, 7, 6 @ 75, 80, 85, 90

[I saw a video recently (by the buff guy who always wear a hat {Ducky or something?} and he pointed out that there's no need for your elbows to go below your chest as on a conventional bench press, and that doing so only puts your shoulder at risk. So I shall be doing floor presses henceforth.] 

PU (supinated): 12, 8, 8 @ bdw

[Had a "mindblown" moment tonight. It was not until reading Ellington Darden's The New HIT Method that I gave supinated pullups much consideration. In my six years of crew, we exclusively used a wide, pronated grip. But Darden makes the case that a supinated grip gives a better lat stretch, so I have tried it out, and the difference did not blow me away until I was stretching between curl sets. My biceps were pumped and tight, so I tried a variety of hand widths and found that a wide grip really stretched the biceps, while a narrow, pronated grip really stretched my lats, and a supinated, narrow grip even more so!]

db pullover-press: 10, 8, 8 @ 70, 75, 80
[It's not hurting anymore, but I still wanted to give my elbow a break. Plus, I LOVE this exercise!!!]

EZ bar curl: 10, 6, 8, 11
[The warmup/pyramid-down rep scheme is gold. I tried it on other exercises, too.] 


+ + +

I have decided to do my Even Keel workout next week, which will effectively be like doing this Ahnohld workout on Tuesday and Thursday, instead of on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I was feeling very un-amped tonight, so, as I head into the holy days, it's time to give myself more reps as I prepare to begin my six-month HIT regimen.


No comments:

Post a Comment