Monday, January 10, 2011

Gym regimen - January 2011

SMR 1 of 18
MONDAY, 45 mins
97kg, BMI 27

Warmup: Spin bike, step machine, calisthenics, stretching

20-rep Squat: 20 @ 92.5kg

Dumbbell pullover: 20 @ 18kg

Pullups (alternate grip): 14, 12, 10
[Used kipping and negatives on the last rep or three of every set. I don't care, since bodyweight exercises are about *moving your body*. I consider it like using an invisible spotter.]

Dips: 13, 10, 10
[Again, used negatives on last reps.]

Decline situps (with obliques): 12/12, 12/10, 10/10

Dumbbell pullover: 20 @ 18kg

+ + +

So, when it came down to it, I went for 92.5kg. I watched a video by Lee Hayward this weekend about the 20-Rep Squat program, which not only gave me the idea for alternating my grip on the pullups, but also convinced me to start modestly so I have room to build over the next 6 weeks. 92.5kg felt just about right. I had to do a good bit of focused breathing, but didn't feel in need of a spotter. I was pretty drained during the first set of pullovers as I "recovered" from the squats, and the pullups, dips, and situps kind of kicked my butt, but that's all good. It was nice to get such an intense workout done in under an hour. Now it's about eating hearty and healthy, getting plenty of sleep, and keeping the mental focus for the each set each week.

+ + +

Of course, after reading this, I will jump to 97.5kg next time. Quote:

Pushing a heavy weight for 20 reps is something that your body is going to reject. You will hurt. You will get dizzy. You will feel faint. You will want to vomit. Your body may shut down completely and leave you on the safety pins (pins or a competent, alert spotter are an absolute MUST for this program!).

Be prepared for all of that. In order to stop the pain and torture, the body will start reacting, shutting down the pain. 90% of this will be mental. The mind is going to scream STOP! The mind will go before the body unless you are prepared to silence it.

Then, and only then, will you reap the rewards of the 20-rep squats. Focus or fail. The only thing that should stop you ever getting 20 reps is going down and being physically unable to stand back up. This WILL happen. You will get into the hole and your legs will simply stop working. That is fine. The next workout you simply load the bar to the same weight and go to battle again.

I didn't feel like that today so I want eradicate (!) the feeling of selling myself short next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment