Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gym regimen - January 2011

SMR 2 of 18
WEDNESDAY, 50+ mins
97kg, BMI 27

Warmup: Spin bike, step machine, calisthenics, stretching

20-rep Squat: 21 @ 97.5kg

Dumbbell pullover: 20 @ 18kg

Pullups (alternate grip): 14, 12, 12
[Used kipping and negatives on the last rep or three of every set. Trusty ol' invisible spotter.]

Dips: 15, 11, 10
[Used negatives on last reps.]

Decline situps (with obliques): 26, 25, 25

Dumbbell pullover: 20 @ 18kg

+ + +

That's right, 21 reps. I miscounted around 15 or 16, so I threw in an extra rep at the end. Even if I undercounted, the 21st rep gave me 20 reps, and if I overcounted, I might have done 22. Either way, it was a good "deep dig" at the end. That 'sudden' extra rep harks back to a habit I developed in high school. If I told myself I'd do 50 pushups, right at the end of the countdown I would "surprise myself" by doing a 0th rep, sometimes even a -1st rep. It was a way of pushing myself beyond a mental limit.

Next time will be 100kg. 92.5kg felt too light on Monday, so 97.5kg felt more like how these "widowmakers" ought to feel. A friend agreed to watch/spot me Friday, so it should be fun. Truth is, I'm enjoying this SMR so much, and I've been preparing for so long, that I'm of half a mind to add 1 or 2 weeks extra. Granted, that half-brained half of my mind may cower and retreat after 6 weeks of SMR, but we'll have to see. I sure had to psych myself up before the squat today. Lots of imaging, last-minute "runs", butterflies, etc. Good stuff. It was cold and rainy today, so I spent plenty of time warming up, and between sets I did jumping jacks. My legs looked muscular today as I did jumping jacks in front of the mirror, so it's nice to see I'm getting back to my "columns of steel" look from high school and college.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment