Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fitness update - NEW EQUIPMENT DAY!

Well, boys and girls, I finally got a real kettlebell. I saw a 35-lb. one at––don't laugh––Walmart last week and decided for once I would just buy the real deal instead of jerry-rigging something from the hardware store, etc. The cheapest one I had seen online was for $21.00 plus about $25.00 S&H, and the one at Walmart was only a few dollars more. Plus, it has a neoprene coating and wide handle, so I'm happy. It also began raining on my way home, which made it ideal for an indoor/garage workout––i.e. kettlebell training!

I want to avoid a wrist/forearm injury at all costs, so I wore my large wrist bands and some weightlifting wrist wraps.

I was experimenting, so I did a whole range of exercises, some standard, others I improvised.

Wednesday, 20 March 2013
50 min., 214 lbs.
[It is to be understood that one-handed exercises are two be counted twice. I rested a couple minutes between circuits.]

warm-up:
swing-arounds, speed bag, double end bag, heavy bag

swings: 12, 24 
goblet squat: 12, 24
sidearm squat: 6, 12 
one-arm swing: 6, 12 
tripod row: 6, 12
stagger push-ups: 6, 12 
flip-ups: 12, 12
one-arm supine press: 12 + 12; 12 + 12  
hand-offs: 6, 12
clean & press: 12, 6 + 6

[I will not explain the (standard) moves that are easily found on the Internet (swings, goblet squats, one-arm swings, etc. 

A sidearm squat is when I hold the KB up at one shoulder, hold the other out at my side, and squat. 

A tripod row is when I brace myself on hand and spread legs and lift the KB with my free hand. 

Stagger push-ups are when I put one hand on the KB with the other on the floor. 

Flip-ups are when I lie supine with the KB over my head and then sit up quickly to stop the KB on my thighs and then swing back into a supine position. 

One-arm supine press is when I lie down and press the KB up to work the pectorals; I found it best to keep the elbow far-ish out from my body, as well as keeping the contralateral leg raised. 

Hand-offs are like swing-arounds, but activate the traps, biceps, and core more, in that the weight is heavier, and the motion is more of a heave from behind one hip to stop at the other hip.

The angles with KB's are indeed strange, and I felt unusual little pains in my knees. I like how the KB also works my grip.  

Stay tuned.]

No comments:

Post a Comment