Monday, January 26, 2015

HIT Basic - week 4 - Good workout! Hurray for rowing!

Monday, 26 January 2015 
230 lbs., 15 min + 30 min. 
well hydrated; focused; steady, tight form

[I made a serious effort to maintain a 3-1-4-0 cadence on all repetitions (as in, 3 seconds concentric, 1 second static, 4 seconds eccentric, and smooth turnaround, though it just dawned on me that I should have made it a 3-1-4-1 cadence. God willing, I'll do that next time and on Friday, though Wednesday will be a NqTF (Not quite To Failure) workout.]

warmup: elliptical machine, stretching-ish, motions

leg curl: 100 lbs. x 10c 

leg extension: 100 x 12c 

leg press: 225 x 15c 

calf raise: 230 x 12c 

Hammer press: 200 x 11e 

Pendlay row: 125 x 9c

pullover: 90 x 8c

cable curl (rope handle): 70 x 11e

Nautilus MP: 80 (?) x 10c 
[Was not really sure what the plates amounted to, but in the right ballpark it felt like 80 lbs.]

farmer carry: 85/85 x 81 steps 

tricep cable extension (rope handle): 70 x 10e

+ + +

A very good workout this evening. More controlled than last workout, though actually stronger in some exercises.

Today was also my first day as an assistant rowing coach at my old high school. I'll be helping with the middle schoolers. We did a baseline fitness assessment today, involving a circuit of a flexibility test, a timed run, jumpies, burpees, and planking. Some students remarked, with shock, "You're so quick! You're so flexible!" Funny to think that I'm in better shape than a bunch of healthy, young people, but, hey, I've got experience and obsession on my side.

It feels amazing to be back on my old stomping grounds. Rowing is "a part of me" on a deep, existential level. Even now I'm getting goose bumps thinking about what it meant and means to me. However, I need to keep reminding myself to observe (the other coaches, the existing boathouse culture, etc.), not only so I can refresh my rowing savvy after two decades off the water, but also so I don't come across (even moreso!) as a blowhard and/or know-it-all. Should be fun. :)

Patience... Humility... Confidence... Intensity... Progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment