Tuesday, January 13, 2015

HIT update... Getting there... No one trains hard...

Monday, 12 January 2015 
30 minutes, 224 lbs 

I was feeling residual soreness from Friday's workout, which goes to show that even these "one set workouts" can really cut a groove into your muscular inroads--and in only half the time! Granted, Saturday I did an ab and forearm workout (space mace, CoC #1.5, perfect ab wheel, and ipsilateral/oblique kb lifts--about 30 minutes), but these workouts continue to benefit me as much as I exert myself in them. 

I continue to learn more about the HIT method, and apply small tweaks to each workout. On Monday, for example, I went for higher reps on lower body exercises, used a spotter on at least one exercise, and used some body English to overcome concentric failure to end on an eccentric negative. 

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I will be lowering my weight a little on lower body, in order to fail at a higher rep range, and going heavier on upper body, for the opposite goal. I will also shorten my concentric (flex) phase to about 2-3 seconds, while keeping my eccentric (release) phase a good 4-5 seconds. I don't find bent rows very gratifying for this kind of workout, so I may use a bench-assisted T-row instead, or just use a slightly more upright stance. 

Oh, also, one other change I will make is to give myself a little more rest between each exercise. By the leg press, my legs were trembling, and by the bb curl, almost my entire lower body was shaking, so much so that I gulped down a Cytomax to avoid "bonking". I love the strength/conditioning aspect of HIT, but I also realize that the conditioning intensity needs just as much time to develop as the strength component. So at least a water break between each exercise will be the order of the day. 

In any case...

leg curl: 100 lbs x 12 

leg extension: 100 x 11 

leg press: 200 x 13 

db pullover: 70 x 12 

db BP: 65 x 11 (with spotted failure) 

Pendlay row: 145 x 4 / 135 x 6 

db MP: 35 x 9/1 (exhausted pause before tenth rep) 

bb curl: 60 x 10 

db tricep extension: 50 x 8 

unilateral farmer walk: 80 x 71 steps (L), 73 steps (R) 

Coda: I was the only person who made any "noises" or showed real signs of exertion, for which I did earn the occasional "look". But hey--go big or go home, and why waste an hour when half an hour is enough? 

No comments:

Post a Comment