Monday, November 29, 2010

Gym regimen - November 2010

A1: Quads and Biceps
(MONDAY): 50+ mins
94kg, BMI 27

Warmup: Exercise bike, ski machine, stretching, jump rope, squats

CIRCUIT:

Leg extension: 12, 9, 6 @ 45kg, 50kg, 55kg

Squat: 12, 9, 7*, 20 @ 90kg, 110kg, 120kg, 40kg
[New PR. Spotter on the last 2 reps of 2rd set, especially the 7th rep––which he convinced me to do in the first place heheh!]

CIRCUIT:

Hyper-supinated dumbbell curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 16kg, 18kg, 20kg
[Hand off-center to accentuate inward supination.]

EZ barbell curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 40kg, 45kg, 50kg

CIRCUIT:

Walking lunges: 20, 20, 12 @ 15kg, 20kg, 25kg

High cable curls: 10, 8, 6 @ 27kg, 32kg, 36kg
[Felt much stronger on these.]

+ + +

I was reading about the legendary "super squat" regimen this afternoon––one set of 20 squats three times a week––and decided to give more pride of place to my squat. Hence, I saved the lunges for after my squats, so I could dig deeper on the squat. I felt very strong on my 2nd set and was pleased to see how strong I felt up to the 5th rep of the 3rd set. My quads very pumped this workout, and my biceps got a good run for their money too.

After the gym, I bought a carton of milk and some lactose digestive aids in order to commence a protein-loading campaign over the next few weeks. I've been on my 4-day routine for nearly two months now and am very pleased with my gains. I will give it another month, until the New Year, and then switch to the legendary "squats and milk" routine: M-W-F for a single 20-rep set of squats (driven by a 2.5kg gain per week) followed by a set of barbell pullovers and then a 3-set circuit of pullups, dips, and situps. And you're done. Just eat and sleep like a bull the rest of the week! I will do that routine for 8 weeks and then… I am of a mind to switch to Wendler's increasingly popular 5/3/1 system on a 4-day routine. As the hype seems credible, starting the 5/3/1 would be an indefinite commitment. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment