Monday, January 20, 2014

Mass Made Simple - Day 1

Lesson for the week is...

DAN JOHN IS RIGHT: COMPLEXES ARE REALLY HARD!

I wanted to get a promo workout done on Saturday, but I forgot the gym closes at 1800, so I just rested through Sunday and went for Day 1 of my official bulking regimen today.

Monday, 20 Jan 2014
50 min, 220 lbs


Warm-up
-
BP : 5x5 @ 135, 140, 145, 155, 175 lbs
Bat wings : 10 sec 2 45 lbs, 10 sec. @ 50 lbs
One-arm db press : 5x5 @ 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 lbs
Bird dog : 15 sec/15 sec x 2
-
Complex 3x3 : Pendlay row, hang clean, FSQ, press, SQ, good morning @ bb, +50 lbs, +70 lbs, +70 lbs
-
SQ : 30 @ 105 lbs
-
db pullover : 40 lbs x 20
goblet SQ : 50 lbs x 10
db pullover : 40 lbs x 20
goblet SQ : 50 lbs x 10

----------------

Before the workout I ate at least 10g of lean chicken protein and 400mg (?) of niacin. (Didn't feel it, though.) I came home, showered, sent the kids to sleep, and ate a bowl of rice, kale, and probably 30g of lean chicken protein.

PROS: Bench press felt very solid. I had sworn off it after a shoulder (re)injury almost exactly a year ago, but seeing as Dan John called me to it, I will comply. I didn't over-think it, and my old habits kicked in nicely (tight traps, slightly arched back, crushing grip, vertical forearms directly under fists).

CONS: I'm still iffy ony my hang clean form.

I'll be ordering some high-grade protein and creatine this week. Like I say, eating is the hardest part about bulking. Protein powder will make things easier. For example, Saturday night while doing laundry, I went for a 20 min. jog and then ate an entire package of Oscar Meyer turkey cold cuts in one sitting. It just about made me puke, and my stomach felt "off" until Monday. On workout days, I will eat at least 300g or protein and consume at least 200oz of water, while on rest and recharge days I will go for just as much water, nearly as much protein, but with fewer calories in total. One day a week I will significantly lower my caloric load, mainly in order to rebalance insulin levels, avoid excess fat gains, and give my tender gut a rest.

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment