Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gym regimen - December 2010

A3: Back and Hamstrings
(THURSDAY): 60+ mins
95kg, BMI 27

Warmup: ski machine, calisthenics, stretching, good mornings, leg curls

CIRCUIT:

Leg curl: 12, 9, 6 @ 40kg, 45kg, 50kg

Good mornings: 13, 10, 7 @ 50kg, 55kg, 60kg
[I went much heavier on these compared to last week. Letting my legs bend a little on the way down gave me more confidence and stability.]

Deadlift: 12, 9, 6, 3 @ 100kg, 120kg, 130kg, 140kg

CIRCUIT:

Pullups: 15, 13, 12*
[* A kip-and-negative for the last rep.]

Ski machine: 1-2 minutes

Stiff-leg deadlift: 12, 9, 6 @ 70kg, 80kg, 90kg
[I liked how these simulated a barbell row to some extent.]

+ + +

Folks, it's official: I'm spanked. As I got dressed for the gym today, I distinctly thought, "Ugh, I don't want to work my back. What about my shoulder?" But I went anyway. All I cannot do safely right now is any heavy motion that makes my delts flex above the clavicle line (e.g. bench press, military press, upright row, etc.). Rowing and curling are no problem. I'm taking Friday off and, indeed, taking next week very, very light: increase my reps by a third and lower the weight by as much.

Perhaps you noted my deadlift. 140kg like last week, but only 3 reps instead of 5. Then again, I went heavier on all three sets before that. As well, going heavier on the good mornings, combined with the nagging insecurity about my right shoulder--combined, for all I know, with a residual fatigue from last week's dead PR--drained me quickly on the deadlift. My wrists have also been sore lately, which is all for the good (the swiveling handle I use for the cable curls and cable flyes really work the forearms), but it meant I struggled with "roly-poly bar" on the deads. King Chalk could only help so much. I shouldn't feel bad, I guess, about my deads today, but I admit I sacrificed good from on a few reps.

So it's time to ease off the throttle for the next couple weeks, get some recovery, and brace myself for the Squats and Milk regimen! Coming off a 4-day routine into a 3-day split will be a Christmas gift to my body. Patience, Humility, Confidence...

No comments:

Post a Comment