Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Shoulder injury…

Excerpts from this article:

"The two exercises that I see causing the greatest frequency of injuries to the AC joint in bodybuilders are heavy bench presses and dips. These movements frequently cause cumulative microtrauma to the distal or outer end of the clavicle, resulting in destruction of the bony tissue in this area leading to degeneration of the joint. …

Indeed, my shoulder got worse after a heavy day on the bench last week, and that after a couple weeks or adding dips to my regimen.

"The joints of the shoulder are involved in almost all upper body movements. Stress is put on the shoulder not only when you’re training the deltoids, but during chest, back and arm workouts as well. Therefore, one of the primary causes of shoulder problems is simply overuse. When you overuse an area of the body there is a resulting degree of microtrauma. This damage, although small, can be cumulative. If you keep training in spite of fatigue and mild pain, the damage is made worse and eventually leads to inflammation or more serious damage and the likelihood of chronic or incapacitating problems in the area.

It's been a long, tough growth cycle, time to cut back and recuperate. Squats and Milk wants me at my finest!

"Damage can also be done by a single incident of momentary overstress, such as lifting too heavy a weight or a multiplication of stress that comes from using poor technique. Faced with a sudden stress the shoulder is not prepared to deal with, the ligaments and musculotendinous structures of the shoulder can stretch, tear or rupture. However, it is possible that what may appear to be an injury resulting from a single incident of overstress may actually be the result, in part, of cumulative microtrauma in the injured area due to repeated overuse of which you were unaware."

As I mentioned, my shoulder flared up after I went bowling. Regardless how much people titter when I mention that––"Bowling!? Don't you lift weights!?"––, I was sure even before reading this article, and even more certain now, that the repeated stress of flinging a 12lb ball across the room, without really warming up, all amidst heavy training, left my shoulder tissue vulnerable enough that a bowling ball got me where I am now. Due to some work and social obligations, I will not hit the gym again until Friday. Shift my back workout by a day and then work my tris Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment