Monday, December 20, 2010

Gym regimen - December 2010

A1: Quads and Biceps
(MONDAY): 60 mins
95kg, BMI 27.5

Warmup: Exercise bike, stretching, pec deck, curls, squats

CIRCUIT:

Leg extension: 15, 12, 9 @ 45kg, 50kg, 55kg

Hyper-supinated dumbbell curl: 12, 10, 8 @ 16kg, 18kg, 20kg

CIRCUIT:

Rope cable curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 30kg, 35kg, 37.5kg [LINK]
[Contrary to the LINK's advice, I did bring my hands together at the top of the curl, as I found this gave a great squeeze-lock at the end and really kept my elbows tucked in. A new favorite!]

Incline leg press: 12, 10, 8 @ 140kg, 160kg, 180kg

CIRCUIT:

Squat: 12, 9, 6 @ 70kg, 85kg, 100kg
[I went very deep and used a slightly wider stance. Felt good!]

High cable curls: 16, 13, 12 @ 27kg, 32kg, 36.5kg [LINK]
[I admit it, I cheat on these by bringing my elbows inward at the end of the contraction, almost like flye. I need to cut it out and keep good form. It's a concentration exercise.]

Ab cable pulldowns (alternating): 24/12, 16/14, 14/10 @ 30kg, 35kg, 37.5kg

+ + +

Where have I been, you ask? (Even if you don't ask….) I strained my neck last week on the squat. Come again? Yes, I strained my neck on the squat! I think what happened is, I had the bar higher on my traps than I like/am used to, and by the third set, I was so tired that I craned my head up too much just to finish the reps, like a cat forcing its head out of a box. That craning combined with a heavy bar bearing down on my traps led to a bad kink the next day. I guess I made it worse by using an electric massage club on the muscle the first couple nights. A couple days later my neck was so sensitive I couldn't turn my head more than a few degrees and I had a headache on the entire left hemisphere of my head. After some acupuncture, massage, anti-infllammatory medicine pads, endless neck warming, and lots of sleep, however, I finally felt good this morning. I can turn my head fully to both sides, though there is some residual stiffness. I decided to go very light on the squat today and I made a point of not tilting my nose above the transverse plane. My neck gave me no discomfort and my shoulder is feeling much better too.

Patience, Humility, Confidence…

No comments:

Post a Comment