Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gym regimen - December 2010

A3: Back and Hamstrings
(THURSDAY): 70 mins
96kg, BMI 27.5

Warmup: spin bike, stretching, leg curls, good mornings, pullups

CIRCUIT:

Leg curl: 12, 9, 6 @ 40kg, 45kg, 50kg

Good mornings: 10, 8, 6 @ 45kg, 50kg, 55kg

Deadlift: 12, 9, 5 @ 105kg, 115kg, 131kg

CIRCUIT:

Pullups: 13, 10*, 8*
[* The last 4 reps of my 2nd set were basically negatives, and the last 5 reps of the 3rd set were negatives. I simply couldn't hold on!]

Standing gluteus extension: 12, 10, 12 @ 45kg, 55kg, 65kg
[First time doing these, so I was cautious but vigorous. I like them.]

Lever bench row: 12, 9, 6/3 @ 80kg, 90kg, 100kg
[Added 3 close-grip rows to seal the 3rd set.]

"Cooldown":

Jump rope: 140, 150, 160 skips
[Calves on fire!]

Alternating ab cable pulldowns: 20/16, 18/14, 16/12 @ 30kg, 32.5kg, 35kg

+ + +

A horde of "big guys" were all over the squat tower tonight, so I and "my deadlift stalker" had to improvise. He used an H-bar near the tower, while I opted for a 7.5kg bar in another area. Deadlifts felt good, although my lower back felt very tight, or perhaps extremely "charged", from doing the good mornings and deadlift in succession, so I did a lot of stretching between sets. I used tonight as a way of getting back into a 4-day split, after a few weeks of either spotty or missing, injury-laden workouts. Interestingly, my stalker pointed out, because the plates I was using were shorter, the bar was lower, which makes the lift harder. That was encouraging. As I say, he's not a total douche, and I'd say we are friends in that brooding, macho, gym-monkey way. He even asked me how my shoulder is doing. He did also advise me to stop doing pullovers, since they are both "useless" and "dangerous", useless because they don't really expand the chest, and dangerous because of the angles. I beg to differ and shall continue to do pullovers, albeit with caution. I don't believe they really "expand your ribcage", but I do believe they work the upper pecs well at the end of a routine and work the serratus anterior.

As for my pullups, feeling so weak on my old standby exercise was startling, but I realize 1) doing any back work after the deadlift is going to be a chore and 2) I have gained weight all over, so I am literally lifting more weight than I've been used to the past several years. Even so, I shall keep at them; shedding a little fat wouldn't hurt (another point my stalker made, teasing me). I'm certainly not fat, but I'm also not "skinny" anymore either.

It was interesting, as always, to see a guy who had a technically "better physique" than me, but who trained weaker than I did in every respect. High reps, low weight, flitting from one station to another like a muscular hummingbird (a bird, mind you, without wings… or a beak… or, yeah…).

Here's to seeing how I feel tomorrow! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment