Saturday, March 22, 2014

Gym update...

Between the end of spring break looming and some gnarly yardwork into which I've foolheartily thrown myself the past few days, I was in a real funk by late Friday afternoon. I ended up taking a nap with my kids and talking some things out with my wife, and finally got myself out the door with an hour left before the gym closed. I was really not up for an Even Keel workout, especially because it would have involved Serious Deadlifting, so I decided to try out the brainstorming I did based on Kali Muscle's high-volume approach.

In the span of 45 minutes I did the following sets of 10 reps over the weight ranges shown:
- DBP, EZ bar curl, close-grip tricep cable pressdown, seated cable row, FSQ, DL
@ 135 lbs, 50-60 lbs, 40-60 lbs, 90-120 lbs, 135 lbs, 135 lbs 
10, 10, 10, 10

- db press, close-grip EZ bar curl, wide-grip tricep cable pressdown, cable lat pulldown, FSQ, DL
@ 50-60 lbs, 50-60 lbs, 40-60 lbs, 90-120 lbs, 135 lbs, 135 lbs 
10, 10, 10

2 min REST between set couplets

In other words, I started with 10 DBP at 135 lbs, then did 10 curls at 50 lbs, then triceps, rows, FSQ, and DL. Less than a minute later I did 10 db presses, curls, triceps, etc. Then I rested about two minutes before starting another pair of 10's. I liked the intensity and will keep something like this in the mix on days when I'm rushed or simply not up to an Even Keel workout but need to "pump some iron." However, the next time I do this--which might be today!--I will cut out the DL and go a bit heavier on chest and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment