Monday, May 16, 2011

Gym regimen - May 2011

Even Keel Workout 2
50 mins, 97kg

WARMUP

CIRCUIT:

SQ: 12, 9, 6 @ 100kg, 105kg, 110kg

Incline BP: 12, 9, 8 @ 65kg, 70kg, 75kg

DL: 12, 9, 6 @ 120kg, 130kg, 140kg
[Straps on set 3.]

Bar pushdown: 12, 9, 8 @ 30kg, 35kg, 40kg

Seated db curl: 12, 9, 6 @ 17kg, 19.5kg, 22kg

Seated lever row: 12, 9, 6 @ 105kg, 110kg, 120kg

+ + +

The nice thing was the rain cooled things off, though it was still extremely humid. I got a poor night of sleep last night so I was a bit undercharged for this workout. The Evil Squat is always a bear. As I was warming up, I felt to myself, "Wait, this is happening too quickly, after I warmup, I have to really train! Help!" A very mental workout. By the time I finished my first set of squats, I said, "12, 10, 8 is insane! I'll just do my old 12, 9, 6 rep scheme." I did break the mold on the bench press and tricep pushdown, since it felt good to push through.

My arms were pretty fried on the curls. On my last set of seated rows, I chalked up, though a little voice inside––my Grip Challenge Demon––told me to go chalk-free, so I'd have more of a grip challenge on the rows. "Eff that," I barked back, "I don't want a grip challenge, I want my wrists to be well." My wrists weren't too painful after the workout, so they are recovering. Give them another week and then I'll try some grip training without much crushing.

Speaking of which, last night I made a pinching block, a 2x4 wrist roller, and another simple flail from a sledgehammer handle and a chain (inspired by this webpage (scroll down), which has oodles of other homemade "grip quip", as I call it. [Actually, I was just puttering with some extra pipe I had and constructed a full metal flail!]).

No comments:

Post a Comment